In a previous life Bill crafted scenery for Broadway, a la Pirates of Penzance, but now crafts software for the enterprise, a la Pirates of Silicon Valley. Slinging code for Microsoft’s famed DX group, Bill has the opportunity to help developers the world over deliver cutting edge solutions with Azure products & services. In previous roles, he has lead service integrations with Fortune 500 retailers, curated DevOps initiatives and to this day still enjoys building high performance, multi-tenant distributed data APIs. As a deeply curious engineer, he enjoys pairing complex problems with simple and elegant solutions. Striving for meaningful change, Bill believes that cultural and technical progress is best made through evolution and not revolution.
Software Craftsman, specializing in systems architecture, APIs and integration. Motivated and passionate leader with proven track record interacting with diverse internal and external stakeholders. Deeply curious and savvy technologist that executes on short-term requirements and cultivates long-term visions.
- Systems Design, Architecture & Integration
- Software Engineering
- Data Modeling
- DevOps Cultural Transformations
- National & International Client Service
- In-house & Customer Training
- Process & Workflow Optimization
- Product Integration & Strategic Deployment
THE RETAIL EQUATION, Irvine, CA (2011 - Present)
Data and analytics driven SaaS, predicting and shaping consumer behavior at each point of interaction.
Verify Application Architect & Technical Lead (2013 - Present)
Architect and lead developer for real time SaaS system, including associated ETL, infrastructure, APIs and tooling. Interacts directly with internal and external stakeholders on feature development and service integrations for Fortune 500 clientele.
- Designed and developed suite of multi-tenant distributed data and middle tier APIs written in C# and F#. API technologies include WebApi & OData for resource exposure, Unity DI/IOC, Entity Framework and custom SQL for service object persistence, SLAB and ELMAH for logging and an in-house performance-monitoring framework purpose built for Microservices. Data APIs also include custom, low-latency access frameworks built over Thrift for HBase and Nest for ElasticSearch. OData endpoints and LINQ Providers enable free search over billions of transaction, employee and consumer records housed in Solr indexes. All APIs include servicing web sites using ASP.NET MVC, Knockoutjs and Bootstrap for command and control, reporting and log viewing.
- Implemented continuous build and continuous integration system around JenkinsCI. Features include automatic job creation, build and test on every commit, artifact archiving, and continuous deployment to Development and Integration environments.
- Responsible for ongoing feature development of real-time transaction processing system handling over 150M transactions per year.
- Direct interaction with business stakeholders and client QA and Deployment teams. Design and coding of database schema and associated stored procedures to achieve low latency and high performance system requirements.
- Responsible for cross coding of statistical models into real-time transaction processing systems.
Software Engineer(2011 - 2013)
Performed core software asset feature development and design including cross coding of predictive analytics/modeling to real-time systems. Instrumental in developing massive parallelized in-house testing platform and expanding ETL capabilities. Began continuing initiative to document institutional knowledge, clarify coding standards and distill in-house product visions.
- Led integration of large retail chain into core software product lines.
- Led Point-of-Sale integrations for several Fortune500 retailers including requirements gathering, creating specifications and test plans, leading integration testing and production rollouts.
- Responsible for ETL engine that transfers large batches of data into production environment. Technologies used include SQL Server and Python.
- Designed and developed low latency parsing module for U.S. and Canadian Driver Licenses, handling over 30M possible data structures, compensating for manufacturing defects, swiping and scanning errors and processing over 125M IDs per year. Written in C#.
- Developed highly parallelized testing infrastructure for real-time transaction processing system. C# application uses WCF, and custom byte protocol to interact with remote systems, leverages NHibernate for decision and model variable persistence. System was capable of replaying a client’s entire transaction history by reconstructing original messages from database records.
LUCID MOTIONS, Huntington Beach, CA (2008 - 2011)
Boutique entertainment consulting firm specializing in automation and theatrical properties.
Owner & Automation Consultant
Launched successful and profitable Entertainment Consulting Business. Clients include Cruise Ship Entertainment and Broadway. Key deliverables included: Project Management; Real-Time Automation Control Systems Design in Java & .Net; and Product R&D.
HUDSON SCENIC STUDIO, INC., Yonkers, NY (2007 - 2010)
Major Broadway production, scenic, and automation studio with more than 40 Tony nominated shows.
Automation Engineer & Control Systems Specialist
Designed, programmed and maintained high-speed, low latency C# network application with graphical interface to standalone automation controllers, utilizing Modbus TCP and MelsecFX industrial protocols. Designed and directed fabrication of compact, high-density motor control racks including associated safety systems with 5,000 points of I/O. Conduct in-house and customer training on control devices. Provided national and international client support of automation systems and onsite personnel training
MFA Stage Automation, University of North Carolina, School of the Arts (2004 - 2007)
“Proving the viability of scalable, event driven entertainment automation software”.
Control Systems Design including PLCs, Hydraulics, Pneumatics Electronics/Electrics; Project Management; Theatrical Structural Engineering; Metalworking & Fabrication.
Visual Basic; C#; J2SE; Modbus TCP; Electronics; Field I/O; Computer Controlled Automation Systems; Object Oriented Programming; and TCP/IP Networking.